[theme-reviewers] How to request "grandfathered" exception to WP 3.9 Theme guidelines?

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Fri Mar 7 02:40:13 UTC 2014

Bruce, I think it'd be better for you to leave the term "script" out of
this.  This is something you've said several times, but not everyone is
piecing it altogether correctly.  Essentially, what you want users to be
able to do is to insert *arbitrary code* into specific places in a
theme.  For example, one might want to put an ad in the header above the
site title.

Personally, I don't think that's the best way to go about things (theme
setting).  I think a sidebar might work better.   But, that's really
beside the point.

I don't have any problems grandfathering something like this in,
particularly for the size of the user community Weaver has.  I've been
in similar situations and have had to figure out how to upgrade hundreds
of thousands of users without breaking something.  I'd rather see a
sensible migration path to a plugin over what would be several
iterations of the theme.  Something like that might have to take place
over a couple of years though.

By the way, one easy way to help the process along would be to check if
there's anything saved for a particular setting.  If not, don't show the
setting field.  That way, new users can't add anything.