[theme-reviewers] How to request "grandfathered" exception to WP 3.9 Theme guidelines?

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:16:54 UTC 2014

I (as well as other theme developers I'm sure) have run into many of these
issues with guidelines that cause user-friendliness problems before.

While there's never an ideal solution, there's usually a creative one.

I assume we're talking about https://wordpress.org/themes/weaver-ii, yes?

So, instead of updating it directly which you're very correct, will result
in thousands of people blindly updating and then blaming you for breaking
their sites, causing a huge support panic, why not release Weaver III with
a notice in the Weaver II description and forum to manually upgrade
(carefully - with your instructions) to the new version.

The idea I posted 2 years ago to help deal with this very problem (
http://wordpress.org/ideas/topic/upgradeupdate-warnings) has finally been
implemented, so that will help a little, but it's not enough.

The root problem has always been that we don't have enough control like
plugin authors do, to implement warning messages, changelogs etc.