[theme-reviewers] Translation-ready themes

Joe Dolson design at joedolson.com
Tue Jun 24 18:24:38 UTC 2014

For plug-ins (at least in the repository), there's a tool for generating
the .pot file in the repository.

>From your plug-in page, log-in and click on the 'Admin' button in the right
column, and there's a tool to generate a POT file.

I assume that the tool is just running the makepot.php functionality.

Best,
Joe

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> @Otto42 - Slightly off-topic, but quickly, can the "makepot.php" be
> applied to plugins as well ... or is there a similar functionality for
> plugins in a different folder? (I'll look into it more later, just being a
> bit a lazy *grin*)
>
> @Christine - Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
>

> Edward Caissie
> aka Cais.
>

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>
>> A PO file is literally just a POT file with the translated parts filled
>> in. Renaming it will work fine for POEdit.
>>
>> I don't recommend using POEdit to actually generate POT/PO/MO files from
>> the source code itself, as it is a generic tool and it does not know about
>> the WordPress-specific i18n functions. Nor does it really know about
>> WordPress theme and plugin headers.
>>
>> The WordPress makepot.php tool uses the actual wp core code to do a lot
>> of the work, so it's up-to-date and will always work correctly. The
>> resulting POT file it generates can then be used in any translation tool,
>> such as POEdit, to do the actual translation.
>>
>> The handbook mentions the makepot.php file first. This is the recommended
>> method.
>>

>> https://make.wordpress.org/docs/theme-developer-handbook/theme-functionality/localization/#generating-pot-file
>>
>> Note that it says "You need thegettext (GNU Internationalization
>> utilities) package", however I do not believe this is true anymore. I'll
>> investigate, but I've been able to run the makepot.php file on a Windows
>> box with XAMPP installed without issues. Pretty sure it lacks the gettext
>> package. That information may be outdated and need to be revised.
>>
>> Additionally, it does not mention that you need to check out the entire
>> /trunk directory, and not just the /tools/i18n directory. The makepot.php
>> file makes references back to the WordPress code in the /trunk/src
>> directory, so the entire copy of WordPress needs to be checked out as well.
>> WordPress does not have to be configured or anything, but the code must be
>> available for usage.
>>
>> -Otto
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Note that I took the "make a .POT file by renaming a .PO file" from the
>> previously linked Codex/Handbook reference:
>> >
>> https://make.wordpress.org/docs/theme-developer-handbook/theme-functionality/localization/
>> >
>> > "There are a few other tools that can be used for generating a pot
>> file. You can use locally Poedit. After generating the po file you can
>> rename the file to POT."
>> >

>> > I've never played with the WP developer tools. I'll have to take a look.

Joseph Dolson
Accessibility consultant & WordPress developer
http://www.joedolson.com
http://profiles.wordpress.org/joedolson