[theme-reviewers] Alternative to Custom Post Type for Theme Feature

Weaver Theme weavertheme at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:45:45 UTC 2014

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Using post custom meta would seem a natural, but - I was thinking in terms
of a library of several templates available to be applied on a per post or
per page basis. A post custom meta approach for the template definition
would seem to limit the custom template definition to just a single post or
page. But a custom post meta would indeed work nicely to show the list of
available custom templates.

I guess this will just have to be part of the theme support plugin. This
seems to becoming more common with more advanced themes lately in response
to some of the new limitations for theme features. Perhaps there should be
some formal recommendations for naming/handling these increasingly common
theme support plugins? A consistent approach would be nice for the users. I
use TGM now, but it is overkill. Perhaps if there were a standard we all
could follow, it would make things easier for the end user? Just thinking
out loud.

I know a lot of WP developers think that child themes are the appropriate
mechanism for this level of customization, but I like to push the limits of
providing design features for the non-programmer, and I've learned that
%parameter% based templates are something a broad group of "amateur"
designers can understand. I have it now for the post meta info lines, and
have been requested to provide similar for the entire post or page.

Bruce Wampler