[theme-reviewers] XFN Profile

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 16 17:39:42 UTC 2014

This was pointed out on StackExchange and I found some tickets referring to it:

Correct XFN profile link in <head> tag: <head
profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11"> or <link rel="profile"
href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11" /> (Exception: Wholly HTML 5 themes
must not have the profile, as HTML 5 does not support it.)

Where does the last part about HTML 5 come from? Where was this
sentence obtained?

HTML 5, like all HTML's, ignores things it does not know about.
There's nothing I know of that would make "link rel=profile" invalid
or incorrect, and there is no reason to omit it from a theme just
because hand-wavy-HTML5.

I believe this information is incorrect and we should not be giving
incorrect information to theme authors. It causes confusion and
nitpickiness, especially among those who don't know HTML that well to
begin with. All the default themes have the link rel=profile in them
for the XFN linkage.