[theme-reviewers] Theme License

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Jan 31 18:17:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Spencer Piontkowski <
spencer at piontkowski.me> wrote:

> But that contradicts this page: http://wordpress.org/about/license/,
> which states:
> "There is some legal grey area regarding what is considered a derivative
> work, but we feel strongly that plugins and themes are derivative work and
> thus inherit the GPL license."

The MIT license is "freer" than the GPL license. There is no contradiction
here.

The GPL license prevents others from taking away freedoms. It does not
actually prevent them from giving you more.

Everything GPL-Compatible is allowed in the WordPress.org systems.