[theme-reviewers] Question: Someone Want to Take Benefit From a'Top Reviewer of the Month'.

Konstantin Kovshenin kovshenin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 22:59:06 UTC 2014

> @Konstantin - An expected and fair reaction. The idea is that the money would be donation-based to help the community, like sponsored advertising. I don't believe that contradicts or breaks the non-profit status, that's how PBS operates for example (selling ad space), I think, I could be wrong.

Quoting: As a non-profit, the WordPress Foundation can, without being
taxed, accept any payment — which may be money or in-kind payment of
property or services — as long as there is no expectation that the
sponsor will receive a “substantial return benefit,” as defined by IRS
regulations.

More here: http://make.wordpress.org/community/2013/12/31/irs-rules-for-corporate-sponsorship-of-wordcamp/

This is about WordCamps and sponsorships, but the rules are pretty
much the same.

> I know wordpress.com of course supports wordpress.org and some of its paid employees, but allocation and expenses don't seem to trickle toward projects like Theme Review, I believe I recall @Otto has discussed in the past about limited resources?

WordPress.org does not have any employees afaik. WordPress.com (or
Automattic) has its own employees and Automattic chooses to donate
some of the employees time to WordPress Core and other WordPress.org
related projects. The same goes for DreamHost, BlueHost, The New York
Times and many other companies.

Finally, I don't think your company should depend on whether your
theme is featured on WordPress.org or not. I don't think that's a
sustainable business model. I can be wrong.

My opinion regarding the incentive program - shut it down and go back
to hand-picking featured themes.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Konstantin - An expected and fair reaction. The idea is that the money
> would be donation-based to help the community, like sponsored advertising. I
> don't believe that contradicts or breaks the non-profit status, that's how
> PBS operates for example (selling ad space), I think, I could be wrong.
>
> I know wordpress.com of course supports wordpress.org and some of its paid
> employees, but allocation and expenses don't seem to trickle toward projects
> like Theme Review, I believe I recall @Otto has discussed in the past about
> limited resources?
>
> Anyways, I assumed it wouldn't be a popular idea, just spit-balling here. :)
>
> @Emil - Definitely, for those developers that want to develop for .com and
> are able to be accepted, that's can be a great earner.

Konstantin