[theme-reviewers] Option to create child theme from theme option

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:04:56 UTC 2014

This is one of those cases where I also see the idea of creating
Child-Themes as a pure functionality rather than a presentation device and
agree it is definitely falling into Plugin Territory.

I also second the idea that this has a great deal of potential as a plugin
as well.

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Justin Tadlock
<justin at justintadlock.com>wrote:

>  I'm pretty much in agreement with Chip on all of this.  Even I'd need to
> study the API to review it.  We're not plugin reviewers; we're theme
> reviewers.  Part of what we have to do is look at what we as theme
> reviewers can realistically review.
>
> I think this would make for an awesome plugin.  I somewhat see the
> argument for bundling it in a theme (it's helpful), but it's much better
> suited as a plugin.  I'd even promote it to my theme users if I felt like
> the code was good.
>

> On 1/22/2014 9:11 AM, Chip Bennett wrote:
>
> At this point, it's just a discussion matter, not a settled issue.
>
>  But looking at that functionality<http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/epic/1.1.1/includes/theme-options.php>:
> wow, that would make a really awesome Plugin. It basically would let users
> create a Child Theme using the currently active Theme as its template
> (Parent Theme).
>
>  IMHO, that's Plugin territory.
>
>  And also: I really don't like the idea of asking Theme reviewers also to
> have to be Plugin reviewers.. I question whether it is reasonable to ask a
> *Theme* reviewer to have to understand not only the WordPress template
> system, but *also* the Filesystem API, in order to review that Theme
> properly? There are very few reviewers competent to conduct such a review
> (and while I'm pretty sure I could get through it, I would have to go back
> into the Filesystem API docs to be sure; it's certainly not inherent). Otto
> could conduct that review without research. Justin might be able to. A few
> others (who do both Plugin and Theme development) could. But the vast
> majority?
>
>  Just my thoughts...
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Faishal Saiyed <saiyedfaishal at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If "*One-Click Child Themes" *is plugin territory functionality then
>> what about the theme that already approved ?
>>
>>  I am reviewing 16211<https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16211#comment:3> and
>> following two are approved theme
>>
>>   https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16209
>>  https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16210
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Faishal Saiyed <saiyedfaishal at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I am reviewing one theme and they give one section call *"One-Click
>>> Child Themes" *in theme option. using that setting i can create child
>>> theme by providing name.
>>>
>>>  I will create that name directory in wp-content theme directory and
>>> create 3 files
>>> 1. style.css
>>> 2. screenshoot.png