[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 20 21:38:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Ünsal Korkmaz <unsalkorkmaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Otto, All i understand from your perspective:
> "You are moron if you sell a product with 1 time fee, why dont you make it
> on monthly fee?"
> Label it as GPL, put all valuable functionality in plugin with paywall.
>
> You just changed wordpress commerical GPL theme market. I hope you realize
> it.

I didn't change anything. You've always had the ability to sell
add-ons to your themes. Why are you not doing this now? It's obvious.

It may not be a great idea, however, to do self-disabling code behind
a subscription. I never said DMS's subscription plugin was a *good
idea*. Making that sort of self-disabling thing encourages others to
take your code and offer it for free with your restrictions removed,
undercutting you. It creates animosity between you and your userbase.

But, selling add-on products is a perfectly valid market. I'd go the
extra step and make them unrestricted though, having checks like this
won't help you in the long run. You shouldn't try to sell code,
because code can be copied and modified. Selling support services is
always long term.