[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 20 19:31:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> If the 1-, 6-, unlimited-site breakdown represents *usage*, of code
> contained entirely in the distributed Plugin, then that is a
> GPL-incompatible usage restriction.

How exactly do you figure this? Because I know the GPL pretty darned
well, and I'm rather certain that you are mistaken here.

The GPL doesn't actually guarantee usage rights. It just prevents
anybody from further restricting those rights, through these lines:
"Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
herein."

You can certainly be correct about the "spirit" of the GPL, however
the creator of a work has the copyright. They cannot break their own
licensing terms. You can not actually create a piece of code that is
inherently "GPL-incompatible", because that is not how licensing
works.

Are we enforcing spirit now too?