[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:08:09 UTC 2013

*@Otto*

Just because you disagree with me does not make the issues I'm raising a
rant and it's not fair for you to be dismissive in that manner. Also, I'm
not concerned that this discussion is being ignored. I wasn't even the one
who started this discussion so clearly others have the same concerns.
Furthermore, are you even reading my responses? They're very concise and
backed up with facts, links, quotes etc.

The GPL is not just about code and never has been, that's only part of it.
I think it more importantly has to do with usage rights and specifically to
the point, our roles of protecting the users of this community, hence
additional WP policies and guidelines.

No, I haven't reviewed the new ticket theme code nor will I nor should I,
as I don't need to, that's completely irrelevant. The only proof needed is
right here:

http://www.pagelines.com/pricing/

You already made your point that "Well, marketing language is one thing and
the fine print is another..." (paraphrasing of course) and I already agreed
that is a good point generally, but doesn't apply here as the theme
developer has already clarified that it's not a support limit, but a usage
one.

I couldn't be more calm, clear and concise in my communications. Nothing
I've said has been frantic or hyperbole in the least.

You say that I need to be more clear and backup what I'm saying, well if
you disagree with me, I invite you to do the same. If you disagree with me,
here's what you're saying:

*1. Under the GPL, we're allowed to sell themes, but restrict how many
websites our customers are allowed to use those themes on.*

*2. Under WP policy, if we submit plugins or themes, we're not required to
keep all our WordPress works GPL compatible.*

Is that what you're saying? And if not, I'm completely failing to
understand what you mean. Instead of just disagreeing with me, do you have
a rebuttal?