[theme-reviewers] Providing commercial non-GPL themes

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 5 03:01:20 UTC 2013

Look, I don't really understand why this is confusing to anybody...

Are you actively selling and/or promoting non-GPL code built off of
WordPress on your own websites? Are you then linking to those in
themes that you're trying to get into the repository in some manner?

No? Then it's probably fine. Simple. The goal is to prevent
spammers and other marketers from getting listed by WordPress.org.
Simple as that. You can sell your work any way you like, but the stuff
you promote via themes in our directory must adhere to the guidelines.
Everybody works for companies, and when you work for somebody, they
tend to own your work. That is *normal*. The goal is to prevent spam,
not to restrict normal behaviors or to impose ideals on other people.

-Otto