[theme-reviewers] How do the theme updates work?

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 21:38:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> As it turns out, it was extremely easy to test, and I was right. The
> random file (I made an aaa.txt file) was removed when I updated the
> theme.
>
> No bugs here. It works the way I thought it did. Upgrading themes
> removes the whole theme directory before unpacking the new theme.
> Files added to a theme will be removed too.

I'll admit to not testing it recently as I have always found it to act as I
described earlier but after re-testing I see that it does indeed behave the
same as plugin updates. I'm happy for the consistency. Although this does
pose a concern as one was formerly able to create custom page-templates for
a theme and load them directly into the theme folder. This now forces
end-users to either create a Child-Theme to accomplish this or FTP the
custom page templates after every theme update neither of which seems very
UX friendly for what was essentially a simple idea.

I know this wasn't the case in the past but as I'm waiting to board a plane
at SFO I'll have to look into this later, as I expect this behavior to
break one of my plugins that relied on the theme update process to not be a
destructive one.

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.