[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 9 23:19:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically PageLines is "saying" that DMS Pro is GPL in order to
> get DMS into the free repo, but then really applying their own proprietary
> license to it which directly contradicts the GPL rendering it not actually
> GPL. If you paint a door black and tell people it's white, it's still black.
> This is an abuse of everything the GPL and WP stands for. How could this not
> be clear?

That is not clear because it is in fact utterly false. It's not how
the GPL works, it's not how licensing works, it's not how copyright
works, and everything you think you know about this topic is
completely and totally wrong.

I do not know how to make this any more clear to you. You are
attempting to apply your knowledge of other things to a subject upon
which you clearly do not understand in the least respect

You are just wrong. Period. That is the end of the debate as far as I
am concerned. They do not violate the GPL in any way whatsoever. This
is not up for debate any further. If my actual logical arguments on
this matter do not convince you, then you are beyond my ability to
assist you any further.

This is NOT a matter of GPL. I will not have any further discussions
on the topic of the GPL in this particular instance, nor will I read
any further debate in this thread mentioning the GPL on this matter.

TL;DR: We're done as far as "GPL" goes here.