[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Wed Oct 9 21:43:48 UTC 2013

Otto,

If you would like us to provide you with the exact transcript of our conversation with the GNU we would be happy to do so.

We did not EDIT their replies, and I find your accusations otherwise to be rather insulting.

The GNU clearly answered our questions on this issue proving that the GPL applies to both the copyright holder, and the user.

While there is no GPL police to enforce this, the entire point of this Theme Review Team is to enforce the policies of WordPress.org and the ensure GPL compatibility with all themes.

Your personal feelings on what is right or wrong are not relevant to this discussion, regardless of your status or position. This is a community issue.

PageLines Pro usage limitations ARE NOT GPL compatible according to the rights set forth in the GPL, and the GNU has now provided clarification on this.

We have the right to call PageLines out for their misappropriation of the GPL and their usage limitations.

So here I am calling them out.

Do you have a valid counter argument for what the GNU stated or just opinions and personal interpretations?

--Trent Lapinski
trent at cyberchimps.com