[theme-reviewers] ProPanel options panel

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 26 00:00:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Morgan Kay <morgan at wpalchemists.com> wrote:

> I'm currently reviewing a theme that uses ProPanel from Code Canyon to
> create a theme options page:
> http://codecanyon.net/item/propanel-wordpress-theme-options-panel/866565
>
> From what I can tell on the license page for this plugin, it appears to be
> okay to use this in a theme that is distributed for free:
> http://codecanyon.net/licenses/regular

No, not even close. We require GPL-Compatible licenses on WordPress.org.
Neither that nor the "extended" license qualify.

The things you need to look for when evaluating a license for GPL
Compatibility (note, "free" doesn't necessarily mean "cost" here):
- Free to use the code for any purpose (meaning "non-commercial" is not
compatible)
- Free to modify the code
- Free to redistribute the code, modified or not
- No additional restrictions

If it satisfies those, then it might be acceptable. Most custom licenses
miss one or two of those.