[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Thu May 23 03:20:59 UTC 2013

I'd like to see some real examples of what you mean by "companion
plugin".  My general rule of thumb is that if a "feature" isn't specific
to the theme or if it concerns data portability, it's plugin territory.
Sure, that line gets a bit blurred once in a while, but for the most
part, it's pretty simple to follow.

One recent example I've done is a portfolio plugin that a couple of my
themes support.  I don't think I have a single support question on my
site even remotely like your example about the plugin/theme combo.  I'm
sure I will at some point, but it's not typical.

I have one of the longest-running WordPress theme/plugin clubs around
and rarely have I had users who couldn't figure this stuff out.  My
guess is that it's about transparency.  It's not just about good
documentation (though that helps).  You've got to be completely up front
about what the user must do.  It also helps a lot if there's very little
configuration -- plug-n-play is what it's all about.