[theme-reviewers] Some review queries

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Tue May 21 14:29:53 UTC 2013

on 21/05/2013 15:08 Chip Bennett said the following:
> You searched this link?
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses/

I did manage to get that page once. Couldn't get the darn thing to load
a second time. It kept timing out

> I get two hits for "MIT License": X11 and Expat.

The reference to X11 just says that the term "MIT License" is too wide a
term to use as MIT used to apply all kinds of licenses to software.
Didn't manage to get down to Expat before I lost the page. One of the
downsides of WPORG support is that posted links sometimes lead to sites
that crash your browser. :-/

I've now managed to get the page again and I checked Expat. All it says
is that it .." is sometimes ambiguously referred to as the MIT License".

Still no clear indication that MIT is GPL-compatible "as is". The
implication seems to be that "MIT" refers to a whole suite of licenses.
Presumably only some of these are GPL-compatible, yes? So should we be
accepting "MIT" at all without clarification?

Mel
--
http://quirm.net
http://blackwidows.co.uk