[theme-reviewers] Hidden IP field in theme contact form

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri May 10 23:56:44 UTC 2013

1. To block known bad IPs (like Akismet), to build location stats on your
users (no different than GA, nothing unethical about it that I can tell at
first glance).

2. This would be better asked as why disclose that info? I've never seen a
form on any website EVER, do this. That includes .org and .com. I've seen
little snippets about why your email address is needed, but I've absolutely
NEVER seen in a form in any context EVER have a little "PS: We also collect
your IP for spam and banning purposes." And I sincerely doubt you or anyone
else on this list has ever seen that besides buried deep in the bowels of
the TOS or Privacy Policy fine print that doesn't really apply in this
context anyways.

3. Because the options are stored in the db, not sent to someone's inbox.
An inbox that perhaps would rather avoid being filled with potentially
thousands of spam emails or even if they went to the spam folder. Also, I'm
sure there are other serious professionals like myself who aren't negligent
enough to simply delete their spam emails without scanning them for false
positives first.

Hey, maybe this person really does somehow have malicious intent, though I
can't imagine how, but ultimately I'm protected the precedent, not the
individual use-case which I think most of us understand is the larger
concern when these issues come up.

As to the last bit, that's programmer speak that goes right over my head.