[theme-reviewers] Theme options quandary

JDG jonathan at gilsons.org
Sat May 4 23:20:28 UTC 2013

I've got a theme that I'm working on that I would like to provide some options for. I know that using the built in Custom Header and Custom Background options are preferred for those customizations, but I would like to provide the ability to customize the background color (not an image) of the header, an option not provided by the built in functions. Do I do this via a second theme options page and provide the rest Custom Header functionality via the built in function? Or, do I consolidate all the customizations on to one theme options page and ditch the built in Custom Header page?

From a WordPress best practices perspective, I think using the built in Custom Header function would be the way to go, but from a usability perspective this seems confusing. I know I wouldn't want to have to go to 2 or 3 different pages to change one section of the site. Any input?