[theme-reviewers] Submitting themes based on existing themes, about child themes

kurachababy kurachababy kurachababy at gmail.com
Fri May 3 18:28:02 UTC 2013

Hi, I have some questions about submitting the themes to the WP theme
directory. I see some themes are based on other themes, for example Twenty
Eleven.

### A) So my questions for themes and frameworks are:

1. Since all theme submitted are GPL, can I create a new design based on
any existing themes?

2. Are there any different rules for starter themes, framework, or
standalone parent theme that can be based on?

3. Does it matter if the theme is by Automattic or other authors?

4. What about commercial frameworks that are GPL like Genesis,
WooFramework? Are they treated same like any other free GPL frameworks?

5. What about commercial themes that are GPL?

6. If I can indeed create theme based on another framework or theme, how do
I enter the attribution info for the original author in the style.css
header? Do I just need to mention it in the description? Because I see the
Author and Author URI wont' fit here, correct? Or do I have to add credits
in the readme.txt file?

7. About the WP-Admin backend, I see some authors add donation buttons,
banner advertisements, and other link information. Is it okay to change
them?

### B) I saw a child theme for the first time in the WP theme directory
yesterday, as I know child themes weren't allowed in the past. So my
questions are:

1. Are child themes allowed now?

2. If it's allowed, do they have to be based on certain themes or it's okay
to be based on any themes in the directory?

Thank you!

Best regards,
John Lee