[theme-reviewers] Is everything o sidebar required to be widgets?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Mar 5 12:31:03 UTC 2013

A "sidebar" is simply a page element, like header, footer, and content
area. It's just a "column of stuff". To me, the common-sense way to answer
your question would be: what is the nature of the "stuff"?

If the "stuff" is content defined by the core widgets (category lists,
recent posts, archive lists, posts calendar, etc.), then yes, that should
be widgetized. But other "stuff" that you're adding via Theme option? No,
not necessarily. (Though in many cases, I would recommend wrapping that
custom content in a Widget, to give the user more flexibility regarding
placement.)