[theme-reviewers] front-page.php and display of blog posts index

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Mar 3 01:54:05 UTC 2013

I disagree completely. (Ahh, just like old times!)

Just because a Theme has an awesome static front-page template doesn't mean
that the user should be forced to use it. Presumably, the rest of the Theme
is just as awesome as the static front-page template. So, while some users
may opt to use the Theme with a static front page, other users very well
may want to use the Theme while displaying the blog posts index as the site
front page.

There's simply no reason for the Theme to trump user choice here, and in
this regard, the discussion very closely resembles the "WordPress-as-CMS"
Themes discussion held some time ago. The logical conclusion of that
discussion was that there was a trivial difference between supporting blog
posts and not supporting blog posts (the so-called "CMS" use of WordPress),
and that "WordPress as CMS" was therefore not a valid special-use/niche
case. I believe the same is true for static-page-as-front-page. Just
because a Theme provides the option doesn't mean that it should be able to
force users into using that option.

It makes even less sense to force a Theme to use "template-front-page.php",
and instruct the user to jump through an extra hoop (apply template via
Page Attributes) beyond the normal static-front-page configuration steps,
just to make the static front page option truly *optional*. But that's
essentially what you're arguing for.

IMHO, it makes infinitely more sense for WordPress simply to fall back
automatically to the home template when the user has specified to display
the blog posts index on the site front page.