[theme-reviewers] Formal Request for Change of Methodology.

Stephen Cui scui2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 19:12:39 UTC 2013

I am relatively new to WordPress. I started learning WordPress last year
and have a theme in repo. I was a WordPress user and use one of popular
theme in the repo. Of course, I use many plugins as well.

Why I started writing my own theme? It is because I cannot trust the Plugin
developers out there. Last June, I noticed that one plugin generated all
kind of hidden links on my website. Although I am new to WordPress and web
development, I have good understanding of web development in general.

Here is my 2 cents to the discussion.

   1. The themes in the repo represent WordPress. The current review
   process protects users’ interest. We can certainly improve the process. But
   we should not use the same approach as Plugin.

   1. On other hands, we should give more freedom to Theme Developers as
   per Plugin Territory discussion. We have Theme Development Guidelines. I
   was wondering if WordPress should define some “standards” for extension.
   For example:

   1. A theme should be allowed having shortcodes or other plugin territory
      stuff. But if they do, they are required to provide a plug-in or have
      alternatives for users.
      2. Another example is CPT and post-meta. Maybe we should have some
      kind of naming convention for themes.

 Stephen