[theme-reviewers] Grandfather Themes?

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:46:30 UTC 2013

This is one way, but I'm pretty sure it will fail the RTFM test. It is very
difficult to get the users to read anything.

But, at least as an interim bridge, how about changing this idea a tiny bit.

If I understand the overall reasoning, the main (only?) reason to disallow
"plugin territory" features in a theme is the difficulties of switching to
other themes.

Why not allow themes to have "plugin territory" features IF the theme
author also provides an alternative plugin that provides compatibility for
those features to other themes?

I did this for my Aspen theme - but the plugin doesn't work as nicely with
other themes because of design and theme integration issues, but they come
very close. (If you can't duplicate features of a shortcode in a regular
plugin, does that take it out of plugin territory?)