[theme-reviewers] Formal Request for Change of Methodology.

Jasper Kips jasper at planetkips.nl
Wed Jun 26 09:31:11 UTC 2013

Speaking as a developer, I wholeheartedly agree with Philip. Developers should be given as much leeway as feasible.

Having said that, there are some points I would like to point out as an administrator of websites.
I expect themes to have one major functionality; to display the content in a pleasing and correct way. Most certainly I do not expect themes to incorporate functionality that will break the displaying of content, when switching to another theme. Case in point, I do not expect a theme to use its own shortcodes, switching themes then becomes a nightmare, instead of a breeze.
Even when it is opt-in, for the owner (not necessarily the administrator) of a site it should be easy to change themes, without having to worry about extra things. Themes that allow inserting of scripts, have built-in widgets, just fall short of that standard. Remember, users will use functionalitiy if it is there.

Just to be clear, by breaking I mean that the main content, that what is returned by the_content, is not shown as intended, hence the no no on my administrator side, of shortcodes.

Furthermore, I expect a certain level of quality of the theme code. Developers are human, and they do make mistakes. The main engine, PHP, changes, removes, adds, changes the way functions work. Etcetera. All these things require that troubleshooting should be as easy as possible. This is not only in the interest of the user, but also of the theme developer. I remove themes themes which I can't easily troubleshoot. Another missed opportunity for the developer.
The lack of requirements on theme documentation is disturbing in my view.

I do not think the current methodology is wrong, actually it is quite good, and in ways better than the methodology used for plugin reviewing, and in ways better than most QA processes I encounter in my job. I regularly encounter problems with plugins, but seldom with themes, that should actually say something about the quality of themes in the WordPress repository.

The problem lies in the implementation. Reviewers are human, and have their own ideas by certain standards. Following the discussion, I bet there are themes that reviewed by reviewer A, and pass, while if they would have been reviewed by reviewer B they would fail. This is no problem in itself, but it reveals some underlying problems in the implementation of the guidelines.  And, more acute, the way the guidelines are explained. To say something in a theme is plugin territory, and thereby rejecting the theme, is plain stupid. One should, at the very least, explain WHY it is plugin territory. And why, given that the guidelines put emphasis on the display functionality, but don't exclude other functionalities, it is a good reason not use theme specific functionality that is considered plugin territory.

There is a great risk that the guidelines will be seen in a legalistic way. This is, in my opinion, somewhat overshooting the idea of the guidelines. Note that the reviewers, and most of the theme developers, are volunteers, doing it besides their regular job. They should be encouraged, not decouraged, by the review process, the guidelines and the way their theme, or review, is appreciated.

So, long story short, Philip has a good point, but I feel the process should be looked at, not the methodology.
Just my penny.
Sincerely,

Jasper Kips

Op 26 jun. 2013, om 07:43 heeft Emil Uzelac <emil at uzelac.me> het volgende geschreven: