[theme-reviewers] Commercial, Themeforest and WordPress.Org

Japheth Thomson japh at envato.com
Sun Jul 28 19:40:22 UTC 2013

Hi Chip,

Did I read you correctly there? Are you saying that if someone is selling
themes or plugins on ThemeForest or CodeCanyon, they must use the 100% GPL
license, otherwise they are not allowed to also distribute other themes on
WordPress.org?

Has that been the rule for long?

Cheers,
Japh

On 29 July 2013 05:33, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> If you host on wordpress.org, any Themes or Plugins that you sell on
> ThemeForest must be distributed under the ThemeForest 100% GPL license.
> Other than that, the usual commercial/up-sell Theme guidelines apply.
>

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Ünsal Korkmaz <unsalkorkmaz at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am preparing to release my first commercial child theme that using
>> FirmaSite <http://wordpress.org/themes/firmasite> as parent theme.
>> FirmaSite theme's support & information site is
>> http://theme.firmasite.com
>> I will put commercial child theme to ThemeForest as gpl theme. My
>> questions are;
>>
>>    - Is there any restriction on this?
>>    - Can i put a page on http://theme.firmasite.com about this
>>    commercial child-theme?
>>    - Can i put link to ThemeForest in commercial child-theme's page?
>>

>> ( Sorry if its unrelated to this mail list )

Japh Thomson
WordPress Evangelist
http://wp.envato.com
http://twitter.com/envato