[theme-reviewers] Webmaster Tools IDs - plugin territory?

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:36:26 UTC 2013

All for one and one for all ...

The guidelines, in general, are not meant to be creating an us and them, or
more contentiously, a before and after segmentation of the Theme
Repository. Although, honestly writing, there are a very minor few
guidelines I personally do not agree with (and no I will not go into their
details) but this "plugin only territory" guideline is not "new" and as
written I do agree with.

Might this cause some unnecessary frustration and consternation for Theme
Authors? Yes, but as most participants in this thread have already agreed
the Theme Author is not the one we should be concerned with. Are there
themes that have passed through the review process and these particular
guidelines have been over-looked or not applied? Yes, to err is human ...

Being an admin from the very beginning, I have seen a lot of things
submitted to the repository and a lot of these submissions resolve as
not-approved due to the Theme Author not adhering to the appropriate
guidelines at the time of submission. Many of these themes have been
refactored (some with Herculean efforts) and eventually approved for
inclusion but some still have not, but every one of the approved themes
have provided a superior product to the end-user than (most) any
not-approved theme has offered.

The guidelines are here to help us to provide these high quality themes and
although the end-users may not recognize this directly take consolation
when they write comments like "this worked just like I expected it to" ...
that is their recognition. The WPTRT Admins (as I see the role) are not
here as gatekeepers, that has never been our purpose or goal. We are  here
to facilitate the processes. We are here to listen to the community. We are
here to help Theme Authors, and more importantly help the End-Users with
insuring the theme they choose from the WordPress Theme repository,
presents content correctly ... no matter the choice.

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net