[theme-reviewers] regarding Theme Check plugin

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Jul 6 14:14:18 UTC 2013

Per the Codex, "Appearance" is the correct place for Theme options page
entries:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Menus

Appearance<http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Panels#Appearance_-_Change_the_Look_of_your_Blog>Displays
controls for manipulation of theme/style files, sidebars, etc.

See also:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Panels#Appearance_-_Change_the_Look_of_your_Blog

Theme Options

The Theme Options
Screen<http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Theme_Options_Screen>
displays
the settings that can be customized for a specific theme. This option will
only be present if the Theme author has configured the theme to allow this
capability. For instance, the WordPress Twenty Twelve
theme<http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary#Twenty_Twelve_theme>
provides
a screen that allows the user to set the color scheme, the links colors,
and the default layout.

The Appearance Theme Options
Screen<http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Theme_Options_Screen>
describes
the details of this feature.

WPORG-hosted Themes are required to standardize on this practice for the
end users' benefit. In my experience, for the vast majority of cases, using
a top-level menu entry for a Theme serves no real purpose other than to
promote the Theme's visibility/implied importance in the menu hierarchy.
Providing a consistent location for end users to find Theme options far
outweighs such a purpose.

If you need to break up your options into manageable groups, you can use
settings sections. If you need more segregation than that, the accepted
method is to use tabs on your settings page.

If you need an example of a tabbed options page layout, I welcome you to
take a look at my Theme, Oenology:
https://github.com/chipbennett/oenology

And I'm sure there are many other great examples available.