[theme-reviewers] Clarification of Theme Naming Rules

Stuart Wider stuartwider at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:14:54 UTC 2013

Thanks guys for your thoughts on naming rules.
Its helping me to formulate my own new theme name,
which of course will be using precisely none of the terms discussed so far
;)

Emil,
When discussing names I'm not focussing on the name Responsive Theme per
se. The word responsive just happens to be a visible example of the naming
conundrum, and of course (if we forget the namespace issue for a moment)
its a very good name because its short, sweet and instantly lets people
know exactly what's in the box, and in that respect, from both a user and
the developers perspective, ideal  :)

Chip,
I can see how naming issues can be very tricky and subjective.
As I was mulling over possible names for my own new theme I also started
thinking about how the Theme name guidelines in this respect could possibly
be less-subjective/more objective without necessarily being complex.

I'd suggest there are two types of related terms in the theme naming
space...

1. Generic Terms ... *Blog*, *Web Log*, *Template*, *Skin, Theme *
Of course you already have these covered in the guidelines and this is
sensible as they are essentially 'nothing' words in terms of a theme
repository

2. Descriptive Web related Terms
These terms are common but useful for names as they help a user know what's
actually in the box when used in a theme name. They are helpful and add
meaning (ie not generic terms as above).
eg.
Store, Mobile, Cart, Directory, Gallery... etc etc

So for example,

'Retroactive Mobile'
I would say this would be good name... as the name lets you know exactly
what it is. Its probably a Retro theme and its mobile.

'Futurizmo Pet Store'
Again I would say that this is a good name as you can see from the title
that this theme is likely to be futuristic and pet store related.

but for example...

If a theme is named just
 'Mobile'
without anything else I would say that this was not a good name for use in
the repository where other themes may also benefit from using that word
descriptively.

So maybe a possible guideline idea would be:

- Allowed: Descriptive Web Terms used as part of an original theme name (eg
Retroactive Mobile)

- Not Allowed: Descriptive Web Terms used on their own (eg Mobile)

This would keep the namespace of commonly used and descriptive web terms
fair and open for all.