[theme-reviewers] Clarification of Theme Naming Rules

Stuart Wider stuartwider at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:03:44 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,
I note that in the theme review guidelines that is says...
"Themes are *not* to use related Theme names (e.g. *WP Twenty Eleven*, *Twenty
Eleven WP*, *The Twenty Eleven*, etc.) in their name"

Does this mean that if a theme on the repository already has used a
particular word in its name that it cannot be used in another themes name?

Lets take Emil's theme for example.. The word 'Responsive' is a common
usage word.

Does the rule above intend that no other theme could use a common usage
word such as 'Responsive' in their title, and that Responsive theme itself
has the only rights to use that word in a title, on first come first served
basis?

Here's some quick made up examples of what I mean...

Super Responsive
Mobile Responsive
Responsive to the Max

Would those pass as theme names with the above rule? or not allowed?

If those names were not allowed then it would follow that if I decided to
release a theme called 'Mobile' then no one else would be able to name
their theme with the word 'Mobile' in it eg. Ultra Mobile, Mobile Plus,
Mega Mobile.

To sum up...
I'm seeking clarification on whether common usage words can be included in
new theme name, even if an existing theme uses the common usage word.

Its an interesting conundrum ;)

Many Thanks,
Stuart