[theme-reviewers] Author website advertises themeforest

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:29:35 UTC 2013

I had a discussion with Chip about this topic some time ago, and I thought
that together we reached a very logical, and sound conclusion.

I agree 100% that an author's own landing site, or other content on that
site (domain name), needs to be to a site that itself contains only 100%
GPL. (But recall past discussions here that links to an author page on
GitHub or others are acceptable - and I don't think all GitHub projects
have to be GPL compatible - just open source, whatever that might mean...)

But it should be okay to include links on that site to other sites with
different domain names (and this was the important threshold) that might
include non-GPL stuff.

As Otto pointed out, WordPress.org should encourage authors to contribute
good themes to the repository. But I am sure there are plenty of authors
who would like to contribute that also may have non-GPL WP themes they've
written or have contributed to. I don't think it is unreasonable to allow
links from the landing pages that go to the author's other works. As noted,
having theme reviewers follow all links is way above and beyond the call of
duty. And I believe it is still in the spirit of GPL to sell products that
are partly GPL and partly non-GPL - there are tons of Linux based products
that work exactly that way. So a link to another site doesn't seem
unreasonable.

So besides being very difficult to enforce, I think it is also fair to
allow authors to have links to any external site that they want. As Chip
said, this isn't the Code of Federal Regulations!