[theme-reviewers] Newbie theme reviewer question - Browser compatability

Paul Appleyard paul at spacecat.com
Fri Feb 1 08:08:38 UTC 2013

On 1/02/2013 5:53 PM, Alex Watson wrote:
> I think we should recommend that the theme works in all modern
> browsers. Microsoft have just launched http://www.modern.ie
> <http://www.modern.ie/> making it a lot easier to test in IE. Being a
> web developer I have a Browserstack account, as making sure my work is
> cross browser compatible is essential to me. Besides, nowadays its a
> lot easier to make sure sites work in IE, compared to the days of IE6!
*
*/Agreed; but once again it comes down to the reviewer testing it in all
modern browsers./

> Btw the guy who built the theme has got back to me and says that the
> theme does not support IE9+. (odd, as i notice he does include the
> html5shiv.js, so he must be thinking about IE at least. Anyway I am
> yet to actually test his site in IE) As a theme reviewer, regardless
> of the guidelines I will be testing in all modern browsers anyway. If
> a site totally breaks in IE9+ (perhaps even in IE8) then I'd have
> concerns.

/So 'does not support IE9+' would mean all IE versions - unless for some
weird reason it works in, say, IE8 .. but I guess what he's saying is
that he doesn't expect it to work properly in IE. Out of curiosity, what
are these features that IE can't handle?/

> Alex

/Paul/