[theme-reviewers] New theme tags for 3.8

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 6 18:52:59 UTC 2013

As part of the 3.8 release scheduled for next week, one of the changes has
to do with the allowed tags in themes.

The old "Width" tags have been deprecated in favor of new "Layout" tags,
which are considered to better describe actual usage.

- The "fixed-width" tag has become "fixed-layout".
- The "flexible-width" tag has become "fluid-layout".
- Finally, a new tag of "responsive-layout" was added.

Currently, theme-check will fail these tags and disallow the upload. As of
3.8's release, this will be changed to allow these new tags and to give a
warning about the old ones.

With regards to theme searching, the old -width tags are aliased to the new
tags. So searching for "fixed-layout" will also find "fixed-width" tags,
and vice-versa. This is intended to not affect older themes or to impact
those themes ability to be searched for in any way, as well as to allow
themes using the new tags to continue to be found by pre-3.8 installations
using the old tags.

As I make this switchover, I'm sure there will be a few minor bugs that
crop up here and there. Some of those bugs will impact your ability to
upload themes. Let me know about any such issues directly and I'll correct
them as soon as possible.

You can read more about the changes here:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21442<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21442#comment:28>