[theme-reviewers] Microformats & Role Landmarks

Amy Hendrix sabreuse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:14:40 UTC 2013

ARIA roles are absolutely still relevant -- aside from the fact that
what they do isn't really fully covered by HTML5 semantics, it's also
the case that many assistive technologies aren't yet at the point
where they can be dropped. See the discussion here:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24629. Even though we don't
require ARIA markup, I suspect we'll start seeing it more as the theme
accessibility review process comes up to speed.

On the other hand, I've never seen Microformats take off the way their
advocates have been promising for, oh, a decade now. But it's not
because they're outdated (if anything, they're better represented in
HTML5 than they ever were before), just because while they're great
for some very limited circumstances (name/address data, recipes,
bibliographic records), they're not particularly compelling for
general use.