[theme-reviewers] Settings API

ethan anwar ethananwar at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 08:52:41 UTC 2012

Hello fellow theme reviewers!

I've got a bone to pick with the Settings API. Especially with do_settings_sections() and do_settings_fields() .
I would like to create a more advanced Settings Page for my theme but at the same time I'd like to stay on the safe side and use everything WordPress has to offer.
Unfortunately WordPress has these two functions to offer and they don't really do that much.

All that do_settings_sections() does is create a <h3> tag and a table underneath it for do_settings_fields() to paste the options in. I'm not happy with that.

Basically what I'm asking is "Can I create my own x_do_settings_sections() and x_do_settings_fields() and use those instead? They will be pretty much the same ones as the default ones declared in wp-admin/includes/template.php, only that they'll generate a little different HTML (divs with ID's and classes and no tables).

Thanks a lot!