[theme-reviewers] re-releasing an old theme under old nameornew name?

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:38:02 UTC 2012

It's been brought to my attention recently that I am not being very clear
in my communications ...

As @Frumph noted, the theme is licensed as GPL-compatible (not exactly sure
what version or license to be honest, but it does reside in the repository
so it is).
As the theme is GPL-compatible and the OP stated their intentions were to
improve and re-submit with proper attribution to the original theme author,
I see the OP as keeping to some of the more important aspects of the "GPL"
and that being the case actually encourage them to continue forward.

I recommended contacting PageLines (as this is a specific theme being
addressed and they are the author) just in case they want to be involved in
this "reboot" of the iBlog theme. Again, the specifics from the OP, but
this applies to any theme in the repository ... and as such I would make
the same recommendation to contact (or at least take reasonable steps to
contact) the original author. This can accomplish many things, such as:
bringing forward code that has not been submitted by the original author, a
"blessing" by the original author (or at least an acknowledgment); etc.

Of course, there are existing guidelines the "new" theme author should be
specifically aware of, as @Emil pointed out with the derivative works
guidelines; but otherwise, as I noted before, I encourage the "new" theme
author to dive in, make some improvements, bring the theme to current
standards and best practices as they apply and submit it with the proper
attribution to the original work / author ... and hopefully it does not
need to be added all other current guidelines should be followed as well
(*grin*)

Cais.