[theme-reviewers] Accessibility Auditing of themes progress

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Tue Nov 13 13:10:45 UTC 2012

on 12/11/2012 16:08 Joe Dolson said the following:
> A couple additional (and hopefully very rare circumstances) could be
> screened programmatically -- a complete lack of <label> elements or
> <h*> heading elements would be an automatic fail, as well. We may not
> be able to verify that the elements are used correctly automatically,
> but if they were absent, that would be a definite violation.

Not sure about checking for label elements. As far as I recall, there is
no mandatory requirement for a theme to include it's own searchform.php
or comment.php files. So I'd imagine it's quite feasible for a theme to
be submitted without any label elements. Also a niche theme might be
aimed at page-only, no comment, sites. so, again - no need for a custom
comment form.

That said, the core comment form needs a good overhaul in terms of
accessibility, so I'm not sure how we'd handle any theme that simply
pulled the core form - especially since the fixes are pretty easy at the
theme level. Ideally, such a theme would not warrant the
accessibility-ready tag.

Mel
--
http://quirm.net