[theme-reviewers] Theme Reviwers

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:27:34 UTC 2012

As an aside, here is what happens when you try to adhere to "best
practices", make your code too generic and rigidly avoid simple solutions
just because you think someone might conceivably need to extend the
solution sometime in the future:
http://taskinoor.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/the-abuse-of-design-patterns-in-writing-a-hello-world-program/.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Konstantin Obenland <konstantin at obenland.it
> [...]

> Anyone else if free to "jump in" and tell all of us why we should allow
> inline CSS. This is an open topic and there's nothing one admin can do if
> others don't agree with him, don't think of me that way please.
>
> Thanks,
> Emil
>

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Emil,
>> I don't want to get into a debate here - this is too small a point. Just
>> note this:
>>
>>    1. I am not saying inline styles are good. I am saying they are okay,
>>    depending on the context. They certainly aren't bad or wrong, and they have
>>    their place. Pick up any reliable resource on the web - they will recommend
>>    against inline styles with a caveat, that they shouldn't be used *if*you want to offer the ability to override them. One way to interpret this
>>    is, "They are fine if you don't care about the ability to override them".
>>    In the cases that I use them, I make sure that the user has no reason to
>>    override them. Correctness here is really a question of context.
>>    2. None of the links you have provided says inline styles must not be
>>    used - you can go through them. Thus it is not the official position of WP.
>>    Frankly I would be surprised if this is made an official position, in which
>>    case using the "css" function of JQuery should be disallowed too, in favour
>>    of "addClass".
>>
>> I have never officially reviewed a theme, however I do follow this thread
>> very closely. You are a WPTRT admin and thus your word carries weight
>> amongst other reviewers. It is just that I have coded some insanely complex
>> scenarios and I have come up against more "exception" situations than most
>> other developers. I am just trying to bring to light some such scenarios.
>>
>> Sayontan.
>>
>> PS: I take the "lazy" developers as a compliment. As per Larry Wall (the
>> creator of Perl), "The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness,
>> Impatience and Hubris".
>>
>> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There's no shortcuts in CSS, saving time -vs doing it right the first
>>> time is completely different. It is very important <div
>>> style="margin-top:33px;"> will be hard to override in a stylesheet and yes
>>> it is wrong and bad practice, how can this be good. Tables too, I did not
>>> use tables in years! <div style="margin-top:33px;"> is for "lazy"
>>> developers I am sorry, not sure if you're using them or not.
>>>
>>> This is not something that I am pushing, it was much before me. My first
>>> message was also intended for reviewers and only as a reminder that's all.
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>>    - http://codex.wordpress.org/CSS_Coding_Standards
>>>    - http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Coding_Standards
>>>
>>> second link will give you better idea how strict the WP Standards are
>>> and how much of slack review team is giving to all of us.

>>> Emil