[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue May 1 14:08:07 UTC 2012

I'm actually not seeing anything inherently wrong with this approach, with
respect to licensing issues. It's not like there's anything *wrong* with
FamFamFam Silk icons; they're just not licensed GPL-compatibly, and thus
cannot be hosted by/distributed from wordpress.org.

Some caveats:

1. UX (as Otto mentioned)
2. Source control: we are generally quite hesitant of repository-hosted
Themes linking to arbitrary, third-party resources (for hopefully obvious
reasons). If it is something that the user manually downloads, and then
manually uploads/installs, that's one thing. But the Theme
*auto*-downloading/installing might be another thing.

If there is a way for Themes to do this safely/securely, I'm all for it.

Chip