[theme-reviewers] tracking code in themes

David Law wp-hackers at google-adsense-templates.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 02:57:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:00:32 -0800, you wrote:

>Justin, I fully understand why this policy is in place, and we will be offering it via opt-in in accordance with the policy soon.
>
>I am simply stating that the supposed ethical questions of this particular instance are moot. I do not like being indirectly accused of tracking my users unethically, because I didn't, and never would.
>
>I will raise this issue with the higher ups at Automattic and if anything I would mainly ask them to make it a higher priority for WordPress.org to provide this kind of analytic data for both plugins and themes. That would be the best solution for everyone.

You'll be wasting your time, the policy seems to be set in stone and
for good reason, users opt in not opt out to sharing data to third
parties.

Anyway, after you realise you are wasting your time trying to change
this policy your real issue is persuading users to opt in. Would
offering extra premium like features in a theme linked to opting into
data collection be acceptable?

Seems the only realisitic solution to persuading your users to opt in,
most won't care how giving you extra data might help with future
devolpment so without a carrot most will remain opted out.

David
--
http://www.stallion-theme.com/ Stallion WordPress SEO Theme
http://www.stallion-theme.com/stallion-wordpress-seo-plugin Stallion