[theme-reviewers] Need Help

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Mar 8 23:41:26 UTC 2012

On 9 March 2012 02:25, Qamar Ashraf <life.object at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Following question is to clarify my concept about Free / Premium themes.
>
> An Author / Developer create a couple of WordPress themes and shares them in
> WordPress under GPL license.
> Can he sell his premium themes at some other marketplaces like themeforest
> etc if he incorporates GPL license in his selling package.
>
> Thanks

Worth mentioning that no WordPress theme sold on ThemeForest is GPL
compatible. The simple reason behind this is the limitations which the
Limited and Extended licenses put on the buyer.
http://themeforest.net/licenses/regular_extended

For example, they prohibit usage on multiple sites with the Regular
license, and directly prohibit reselling and redistribution, both of
those conflict directly with the freedoms which the GPL provides. So
it's alright to sell themes, Just remember, that ThemeForest is not a
GPL marketplace.