[theme-reviewers] tracking code in themes

George Ortiz george at venturengine.com
Thu Mar 8 21:01:45 UTC 2012

Chip, can I quote you on our site?

"In fact, I wish WordPress.org itself provided this kind of data publicly."
- Chip Bennet, WordPress.org Theme Reviewer

We're obviously really concerned and stay pretty strict on any data coming across our API. Currently, we aggregate information back to theme authors as another form of keeping data private and anonymous.

There is a huge value for both the theme authors and the end-users. Which is why we released a plugin for content creators.

I completely understand the policy. I do however want to question the default opt-in setting. It's just as easy for end-users to opt-out as it is to opt-in. Statistically, most people just stick with default options regardless of their thoughts or feelings. As PressTrends is backed by many top WordPress users and advocates, is there anyway you would reconsider the default of opt-out rather than opt-in?

Cheers and thanks for all your work with the theme directory. : )

George Ortiz
Founder, PressTrends
Twitter: @grgortiz
Phone: 801-815-2223