[theme-reviewers] Duplicate Theme Name

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Mon Jul 23 14:42:08 UTC 2012

The argument is sometimes made here that, "yes, but I've already started
promoting my theme under that name, and it would just be confusing for my
users, so please change the WP theme repo for me".

I really don't think it's the theme repo's responsibility to adjust to
those that decide to name a theme something that is already taken in the
repo. It's easy to check if the name already exists or not; just add the
slug to the repo svn URL, as Chip pointed out above. And every developer
can, of course, decide to use that name anyways to promote their theme; it
just won't include the theme repo.

As a developer, I would not want to lose a name in the repo because a newer
dev and Otto decided I don't deserve it anymore (no offense Otto). At the
very least, if a theme has not been updated in so long, the dev should be
contacted and given a deadline to either update their theme (as it's part
of the requirements to keep all submitted themes up to date), or relinquish
it.

Maybe the repo is due for a culling, as we've somewhat discussed before;
but devs still deserve the chance to update their themes instead of losing
their slug.