[theme-reviewers] Review of Child Themes?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jul 19 17:29:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Dane Morgan <dane at danemorganmedia.com> wrote:
>> Child themes in /extend automagically get a pretty blue button linking
>> to their parent.
>
> But the description shows up in their dashboard if they managed to install
> it without seeing the blue button.

Generally speaking, I think the case of people downloading the ZIP and
uploading it to their site manually is pretty rare. Most people use
the auto-install mechanism, which as of 3.4 just installs the theme
and then installs the parent if needed.

If they did happen to install the child without the parent, then the
theme list shows them the problem, tells them what the parent is, and
I don't think it will let them activate (might be wrong on that last
one).

I'm sure there's interface improvements that could be made, but I
think it's of the nature where core can do it. Theme authors should
not have to specify this stuff specifically in descriptions as it
might be redundant information.