[theme-reviewers] Public Domain Dedication

Yulian Yordanov yul.yordanov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:33:26 UTC 2012

Public Domain always was and it is GPL compatible. May be abreviation
"CC0" mislead users that CC0 is kind of CC-license. But it's rather "no
(zero) license in this work", than 'this work is under CC license".

Here is the explanation from gnu.org
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PublicDomain

> Being in the public domain is not a license; rather, it means the
> material is not copyrighted and no license is needed. Practically
> speaking, though, if a work is in the public domain, it might as well
> have an all-permissive non-copyleft free software license. Public
> domain material is compatible with the GNU GPL.
>
> If you want to release your work to the public domain, we encourage
> you to use formal tools to do so. We ask people who make small
> contributions to GNU to sign a disclaimer form; that's one solution.
> If you're working on a project that doesn't have formal contribution
> policies like that,CC0
> <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC0>is a good tool that
> anyone can use. It formally dedicates your work to the public domain,
> and provides a fallback license for cases where that is not legally
> possible.

Fingli

?? 11.7.2012 ?. 06:11 ?., Emil Uzelac ??????:
> Quick input CC0 was there last year as well
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110513233940/http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
> but I can see May only and I've contacted CC in March. Maybe this was
> changed somewhere in the middle.
>
> Emil
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com
> <mailto:emil at themeid.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well that settles it, last year when I contacted CC they told me
>     that there's no compatibility between CC and GPL. All right, good
>     news and thanks for this! There's no way knowing or seeing the
>     history here I guess, meaning that what changed and when, or if
>     this was like that before.
>
>     Emil
>
>     On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Sayontan Sinha
>     <sayontan at gmail.com <mailto:sayontan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I was under the impression that CC0 is GPL compatible
>         (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC0), and that
>         it is the only GPL-compatible CC license.
>
>         On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com
>         <mailto:emil at themeid.com>> wrote:
>
>             Hey Guys,
>
>             Quick question and I know that this was already discussed
>             and that I was the one to preach about CC not being
>             GPL-Compatible with any version and all that, however can
>             we see if
>             http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en
>             can be accepted anyways? For example images and other good
>             stuff. "Public Domain Dedication" has 0 copyrights,
>             no restrictions either... Or at least revisit what the CC
>             guy told us over the e-mail.
>
>             Am I asking too much?
>
>             Thanks,
>             Emil

>         --
>         Sayontan Sinha
>         http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
>         --
>         Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The
>         death gets more coverage than the crime.

Yulian Yordanov
yul.yordanov at gmail.com <mailto:yul.yordanov at gmail.com> |
post-scriptum.info <http://post-scriptum.info/> | about.me/yullian
<http://about.me/yullian>