[theme-reviewers] WordPress Theme Stores Violating GPL

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jan 18 22:14:27 UTC 2012

ThemeForest Themes comply 100% with the GPL, as far as I know. However,
that doesn't mean that their Themes are 100% GPL.

Split licenses do not violate the GPL; they are 100% GPL-compatible. But
that does not mean that they are 100% GPL. Any resources under the
more-restrictive part of the split license are NOT GPL (otherwise, why
split the license?). This arrangement IS FINE for non-WPORG-hosted Themes,
but it is NOT FINE for WPORG-hosted Themes.

So, AwesomeThemes can distribute split-license Themes from their own site,
but any Themes they submit to the WPORG repository cannot be
split-licensed; they must be 100% GPL.

What AwesomeThemes CANNOT do, however, is distribute Themes under
non-GPL-compatible licenses, if they intend to have Themes hosted in the
WPORG repository.

Hopefully that clarifies things. :)

Chip