[theme-reviewers] About Text Domain Issues

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 18:12:58 UTC 2012

The theme discussed here is mine. I had actually raised this point earlier
prior to coding it:
http://lists.wordpress.org/pipermail/theme-reviewers/2011-December/007526.html(you
can see the other posts on the thread too). My rationale is this: if I
include the theme-slug in the domain, and then my translators don't update
the PO and MO files, the strings will not be translated though WP's native
translations exist. Additionally, the theme is only translated to 30 odd
languages. For all other languages for which WP's translations exist these
strings are shown untranslated. This is going to lead to a worse situation
than the default.

Also it might be worthwhile to note the context. I am trying to extend a WP
class function that doesn't define any hooks. That makes me include the
function verbatim, then add my code to it. If there were hooks I wouldn't
be required to include the original code, however without the hook I am put
in a double-bind with respect to translation.

Sayontan.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM, George Mamadashvili <
georgemamadashvili at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know themes are not required to be translation ready, but if
> they are, authors should do i18n properly.
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>wrote:
>>
>>> If it's in the Theme, then the Theme needs to provide the translation
>>> for the string. It doesn't matter if that same string is in core. We've
>>> covered this one quite a bit on the list.
>>>

>> I agree with the point being made, but we should not expect all theme
>> authors to stay current on all discussions made on the mailing list. If
>> something has been "covered ... quite a bit" then perhaps it also requires
>> an entry in the guidelines as well?
>>

>> Cais.

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.