[theme-reviewers] explicit license statements for binaries

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Feb 10 17:31:41 UTC 2012

That would be true, were it not for the all-too-often occurrences of
non-GPL-compatible resources being bundled with Themes.

And, yes: it's a technicality. But it's a technicality imposed on us by
WPORG policy stating that hosted Themes must be 100% GPL-compatible.

I think the whole theme itself should be considered an individual "work"
and when you use a public domain image (as I do) the entire thing becomes a
a new work and can retain a GPL copyright as a whole.

Except that's not true. You have every right to license the *compilation*
under GPL, but you still can't claim (or imply) that you hold the copyright
for the PD work itself, or that the PD work itself is licensed under GPL.
It does suck sometimes, but these things DO matter.

I don't think there should be any assumptions made

I agree, which is why explicit declaration of copyright and licensing is
important for bundled resources.

Chip

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Angelo Bertolli <angelo.bertolli at gmail.com