[theme-reviewers] Clean Retina and using word Retina

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 19:27:58 UTC 2012

That's not how copyrighted/service-marked/trademarked/registered etc items
work anyways.

In this case Retina®, but your theme's name isn't Retina®, it's "Clean
Retina" - you could have that name trademarked even, if you liked.

It might be a problem if the intention is obviously infringing like if you
tried:

"Apple's Clean Retina"

Or if you're another smartphone company.

Also, mind you that they don't outright own the word retina (
https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aretina) - they can't (no one can),
it's still a very broad word that has different meanings and can be freely
used in normal context.

In the context of Apple, it's regarding the "Retina® display" of their
devices. So, let's say Android referred to their new smartphone displays as
"Retina", that would likely be a problem.

Furthermore, even if you were blatantly infringing, the odds that anyone
from Apple that had say noticed your theme, and then on top of that were
upset about it, and then on top of that actually began measures to sue you
is pretty much a billion to one.

Besides, you would get a cease and desist letter first. But, you're not
infringing, either legally or morally. Nope, I'm not a copyright lawyer.
But, I've talked to them, I own a few of my own businesses and I've read
about this stuff until my eyes were bloody.

You can do the same. A lot of lawyers aren't as sleazy as they're made to
be in movies. In my experience, they love helping and I've gotten lots of
free info out of lawyers, that will happen anyways because you can discuss
whether you "have a case" or not, and in that, get your answers.

Happy Sailing

Thanks, Bryan